Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rosettes: How and Why

Everywhere I look in blogland I find rosettes. I see em on jewelry, on walls, on art, thrown together in bowls, on t-shirts, pinned on to scarves. You name it, it can have a rosette on it.

I'm not one to often follow trends. Not because I don't want to be trendy or fashionable, but mostly because I am too cheap frugal and lazy busy to keep up on these things. Rosettes, however, I can totally do. Mostly because Mama Pear showed me the ropes. Plus, there are tons of tutorials out there, as well as lots of ideas for inspiration.

Because I told you it'd be coming, here is my quick tutorial for making a fabric rosette:
What you need:
  • 1.5 to 3 inch wide strip of material. The strip should be around 24 inches or more.
  • scissors
  • hot glue gun with glue
  • embellishments, such as buttons and ribbons

1. Create long strips of fabric, using the dimensions listed above.

2. Fold the fabric strip in half the long way, so it is about 1 inch wide (depending on starting size)
3. Tie a small knot at one end of the fabric.

4. Twist the loose end of the fabric slightly and begin wrapping it around the knot. Hot glue to hold together as you form the flower.

5. Continue twisting the fabric and gluing until it reaches your desired size.

6. Cut fabric and secure with hot glue to the back side.
7. Embellish and add to your favorite project.

The best part is you can use fabric you already have on hand. Sort of a stash-buster craft project. Here are some other rosette ideas to help you get your roll on.


Natsprat has an eye for rosettes. I am in love with the bold colors, and plan to try this wreath!
Nichelle from Vintage Wanna Bee embellished these shoes. Delightful, huh? I think so.

Cami from You Seriously Made That? has a fabulous tutorial for rosette hair accessories. Head over there.

Don't see something you love, but like the idea? Google it, and enjoy the rosette ride of your life. There are innumerable options for their use and just as many ways to create them. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. love these, they are fun to make and add a nice touch to decorating vases, lampshades,....etc and so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks....been holding me breath waiting for this! Now I know what new thingy (new to me, not NEW new) to try today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love rosettes. They're easy to make but always dress up whatever you're adding them to.

    LOVE!

    Cara

    http://miscellaneousme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete