Wednesday, March 30, 2011

T-Shirt Scarf

Scarves are my go-to accessory these days. They're easy and keep me warm on chilly Spring mornings. Or afternoons, or evenings. This is SD after all. I saw a few tutorials on DIY Dish and couldn't wait to make a few. My first attempt, a former long sleeved purple tee, made its way to Des Moines with my good friend. I tried a pink one recently and love how it turned out. I will post my directions here, or you can head on over to the link above.

1. You'll need: A t-shirt, mostly plain. It can be jersey knit, cotton, or have some spandex. You'll also need fabric glue, a scissors, and a round object, such as a plate (approx. 8 inches).
2. Cut as many circles as you can out of the fabric. It's not important to be precise.
3. Starting at the outside of each circle, cut into a spiral. I made each cut so there was 2 inches between.
4. Stretch out the spiral, holding one edge in each hand. It will begin to look ruffly.


5. Glue two of the strips together with fabric glue. Continue until all are glued.

6. Gather the strips loosely. Using a scrap piece of fabric, tie around the center of the scarf so strips stay together and the glued portions are hidden.

7. Wear proudly. I am thinking of dressing mine up with a brooch or flower or something. For now, the brightness screams Spring. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!! Now that I should be able to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO doing this! Thanks for visiting me at bunsinarow; i'm your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! I'm gonna go make me some scarves now! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This scarf is amazing! Thanks for becoming a follower of our blog. Doing the same for your blog- you have some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so doing this! Now to find the right shirt... (I recently purged my wardrobe and donated most of what I don't want anymore!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and have been wanting to try it! Yours looks so pretty, I'm gonna have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally fun! Big basket of ol' t-shirts, here I come!

    ReplyDelete