- 2/3 cup butter or margarine
- 4 baking potatoes
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (we use a bag of "real bacon pieces")
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool and cube potatoes.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add flour and stir until combined. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Add potatoes and onions. Garnish with cheese and bacon and additional green onions.