Thursday, January 3, 2013

DIY: Kindness


I am approaching 30, and quick.  My birthday is coming up in just a few days, and I have been thinking about a way to celebrate.  Of course there will be cake (err, tiramisu) and possibly some singing, but I want to do something to celebrate how blessed I am and to share some love with the people around me.  And so is born "DIY: Kindness".  It fits the genre of the blog and gets me thinking about opportunities beyond my home and family, though both of those are definitely included.  I am going to attempt to complete thirty acts of kindness in the weeks surrounding my birthday.  "DIY: Kindness" is in full swing--that's one advantage to having a birthday near Christmas, lots of chances to help out.  

Here's the progress on DIY: Kindness so far:

1.  Paid for the car behind me in a drive thru.  
2.  Bought a book of stamps, left with postal worker to give to the next person.  
3.  Bought a Christmas present for a senior citizen 
4.  Bought a Christmas present for a child
5.  Sent a pillow and pillowcase to a family who needs it.
6.  Left a little something for the mail carrier--bottle of water, some chocolate, and hand lotion
7.  Left a card and cookie mix on the neighbor's doorstep

I have a ways to go.  It's sort of like when I decided to give my husband thirty gifts on his 30th birthday a couple months ago.  It seemed like such an awesome idea (and it was!) but when I was putting it together, I wasn't sure.  

Please feel free to join and get to doing some DIY Kindness.  It can be big or small.  Sometimes just holding a door or sharing a compliment can make someone's day.  If you choose to join, I'll add it to my list of 30, and you may just see some kindness coming your way as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment